Business Expert & Sportsman, Outdoor Sporting Goods Industry
James Slohm has been a key partner with The Hammond Group on our shared goal of increasing sales and mutual profitablity for both companies. Jim has always been a good friend, excellent business man and a great mentor.- John Foley, Sales Manager, The Hammond Group
What can I say...I've both worked with and for James over time and had the privilege to call on him as a key account of the company I represent. I have enjoyed all of those encounters. James's short and long term planning skills, attention to detail...combine with well defined goals and a realistic timeline have made working with him a pleasure. I truly believe James would be a valuable asset to any organization he represents.- Jim Burrows, Sr. District Sales Manager, Pure Fishing, Inc.
Starting a new retail business can be both exhilarating and exhausting. There are so many important details that must be properly handled. The decisions you make during the startup will have long term consequences for your business.
I Specialize in Retail Startups.
With more than 25 years successful experience in these startups, I have seen about everything. In my opinion, the key to being successful is making the right decisions while setting the foundation for your business.
I can help retail startups by adding my experience into the mix so that the decisions you make will be the best ones for your unique situation. My assistance can range from developing the business plan to specific component services to turnkey. My experiences can fill the gaps in your experiences so that you have the best possible chance of success.
I can develop an outstanding plan, using all my expertise, that will show your financing partners how well you have thought through your business and the “hows and whys” for success. You will have more options and better deals for financing when they can clearly see the business plan was written by an expert in the outdoor sporting goods business.
Specific Individual Services
I can help you with the varied areas of your startup. You'll have expert advice to be successful. My services include:
- Site selection - make the right decision and get the most bang for your buck
- Demographic analysis - right site, right customer base, right timing
- Licensing and permits - it’s less complicated than advertised
- Build/renovate - existing location or build to suit
- Competitor Analysis - will your plan standup to the competition
- Opening Inventory - getting the mix right the first time equals 1st year profitability
- Best Sourcing - buying from the right sources increases 1st year profitability
- Operations Plan - have the “Best in Class” policies, procedures and business practices
- POS - filter through the vast choices to get what’s right for your business
- Loss Prevention - no losses are acceptable, plan and implement proven procedures
- Merchandising - choose the best visual and practical approach to your store’s space
- Promotions - secure Vendor support for annual and seasonal sales building events
- Grand Opening - consider soft opening first, ring the cash register and work out the bugs before bringing in Vendors and launching a major Grand opening campaign. Secure attendance commitments from vendors, door prizes and promotional materials and additional coop advertising funds
My turnkey service gives you the most economical way for my expertise to work for you. I will manage your startup from concept to the grand opening, and all the while keeping you informed and “in the loop.” I will optimize all the elements in your startup so that it is completed on time, on scope, and in budget. There really isn’t any substitute for experience.
If you are considering or have already decided to start a retail operation, I urge you to contact me. I would be pleased to just talk about your potential business and offer my suggestions to you with no obligation. Sometimes, it just helps to bounce ideas off someone else. If our discussions reveal that I can be of service to you, then we can talk about a business arrangement. Until then, I would be pleased to just talk about your business.
I look forward to hearing from you to discuss your business.
Phone: (937) 436-5202 (Eastern US Time Zone)